Friday, July 17, 2015

Review: Kilic Ali Pasha Mosque and Tophane Fountain, Istanbul, Turkey

image

image

On our first day in Istanbul, 23rd February 2015, when we decided to come back to the hotel from Taksim Square, we opted to walk back to T1 Tophane Terminal instead of taking a risk and trying some other local transportation as yet.  The walk was downhill thus it was not an issue and we reached there by 8:42pm. While waiting at T1 Tophane Terminal I noticed this big mosque just behind the waiting bench. I went to take a look but unfortunately it was closed at that time. There was some snow just next to its walls which was nice to see after coming from Riyadh. I peaked into the building through the big grills in walls, it looked nice and I noticed a miniature model of this mosque was also placed inside.

 

Across the street I noticed a small block shaped building, to find out what it is I took a round around it but couldn’t figure out. It had no doors or windows and it was beautifully made. Later I came to know that it was one of the famous fountains of Istanbul. My idea of fountain was some water thrown up in the air but then I came to know that the place used for Wazu/Wadu (washing before prayer/Namaz/Salah) is called a fountain in Turkey. The Masjid’s own fountain was inside the walls of the Masjid thus this fountain was not used for washing but historically used for supplying drinking water to the area.

 

Location: 41.026610, 28.980991

Opening Time: Most probably from Morning Prayer (Fajr) to Night Prayer (Isha). It was closed at 8:42pm when I reached there.

Ticket: Free

Time Required: 30min

image


 
 
The first mosque I saw in Istanbul - Review of Kilic Ali Pasa Mosque, Istanbul, Turkey - TripAdvisor
 
Kilic Ali Pasa Mosque: The first mosque I saw in Istanbul - See 21 traveler reviews, 27 candid photos, and great deals for Istanbul, Turkey, at TripAdvisor.
 
Clip Better   http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293974-…
 
      View Now  
 
 

 
 
The first fountain I saw in Istanbul - Review of Tophane Parki, Istanbul, Turkey - TripAdvisor
 
Tophane Parki: The first fountain I saw in Istanbul - See 10 traveler reviews, 3 candid photos, and great deals for Istanbul, Turkey, at TripAdvisor.
 
Clip Better   http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293974-…
 
      View Now  
 
 

If you would like to read about my review of Taksim Square then you can find it on the following link:


 
 
urShadow's Blog: Review: Taksim Square, Istanbul, Turkey
 
 
Clip Better   http://naumankhan.blogspot.com/2015/07/review-taksi…
 
      View Now  
 
 

-urShadow


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...