Originally Posted on September 9, 2014:
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - Bureau of Experts at the Council of Ministers - Official Translation Department - Translation of Saudi Laws
The Anti-Cyber Crime Law was issued under the Council of Ministers Decision No. 79, dated 7/3/1428 H, and it was approved by Royal Decree No. M/17, dated 8/3/1428H. The Act was published in the Issue No (4144) of the Official Gazette (Um Al Qura) on 13/04/1428H.
Article 3: Any person who commits one of the following cyber crimes shall be subject to imprisonment for a period
not exceeding one year and a fine not exceeding five hundred thousand riyals or to either punishment:
1. Spying on, interception or reception of data transmitted through an information network or a computer without
2. Unlawful access to computers with the intention to threaten
Article 5: Any person who commits one of the following cyber crimes shall be subject to imprisonment for a period not exceeding four years and a fine not exceeding three million riyals or to either punishment:
1. Unlawful access to computers with the intention to delete, erase, destroy, leak, damage, alter or redistribute private data.
2. Causing the information network to halt or breakdown, or destroying, deleting, leaking or altering existing or stored programs or data.
3. Obstruction of access to, distortion, and causing the breakdown of services by any means.
Article 6: Any person who commits one of the following cyber-crimes shall be subject to imprisonment for a period
not exceeding five years and a fine not exceeding three million riyals or to either punishment:
1. Production, preparation, transmission, or storage of material impinging on public order, religious values, public
morals, and privacy, through the information network or computers.
2. The construction or publicizing of a website on the information network or computer to promote or facilitate
3. The preparation, publication, and promotion of material for pornographic or gambling sites which violates public
4. The construction or publicizing of a web site on the information network or computer to trade in, distribute, demonstrate method of use or facilitate dealing in narcotic and psychotropic drugs.
Article 7: Any person who commits one of the following cyber-crimes shall be subject to imprisonment for a
period not exceeding ten years, and a fine not exceeding five million riyals or to either punishment:
1. The construction or publicizing of a website on the information network or on a computer for terrorist organizations
to facilitate communication with leaders or members of such organizations, finance them, promote their
ideologies, publicize methods of making incendiary devices or explosives, or any other means used in terrorist
2. Unlawful access to a web site or an information system directly, or through the information network or any
computer with the Intention of obtaining data jeopardizing the internal or external security of the State or its national economy.
Article 8: The imprisonment and the fine may not be less than half the maximum if the crime is coupled with one of the
1. The crime is perpetrated through organized crime.
2. The offender holds a public office and the crime perpetrated relates to this office, or if he perpetrates the crime using his power or influence.
3. The luring and exploiting of minors and the like.
4. The offender has been previously convicted of similar crimes within or outside the Kingdom.
Article 9: Any person who incites, assists or collaborates with others to commit any of the crimes stipulated in this Law shall be subject to a punishment not exceeding the maximum punishment designated for such crimes, if the crime is committed as a result of said incitement, assistance or collaboration, and he shall be subject to a punishment not exceeding half the maximum punishment designated, if the intended crime is not committed.