Thursday, January 21, 2010

First Look Microsoft Office 2010, by Katherine Murray

Post Type :
 

 
Microsoft Free E-book Offer Has Something For Everyone
First Look Microsoft Office 2010, by Katherine Murray
Have you downloaded the Microsoft Office 2010 beta? I’ve been using it for a while and couldn’t wait until our First Look Microsoft Office 2010 became available. Although I consider myself to be an intermediate to advanced user of Office applications, I can tell by reading the table of contents that I have a lot to learn about the newest features in Office and using the applications to their fullest extent. I’ve only had the new e-book for a couple of days, and I’ve already learned how to use two new tools in Excel 2010.
While using the beta, I noticed that the Office team added a couple of cool new features to Excel, one of my favorite programs. Sparklines and Slicers are compelling for analyzing data, but are not easy to use at first. I was thrilled to see that our author covered those features in this book. I followed the step by step instructions and here were my results:
Sparklines allow you to create little charts within a cell to help you visually notice patterns in your data. Rather than reading numbers in a row, I can create a Sparkline and see how our book sales are trending. If you want to try this yourself, Kathy gives you the steps in chapter 5.
Sparklines
If you love pivot tables as I do, you’re gonna love Slicers. They allow you to slice data and extend pivot tables to show your data in a variety of scenarios. Here’s how I used slicers (also covered in chapter 5). Once I created a regular pivot table of my data, I clicked on “Insert Slicer” and chose which field I wanted to use to slice my data. With this feature, I can click on the different topics to filter sales on particular categories.
Slicers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...