Monday, September 16, 2019

[Solution] - Unable to Upgrade to Windows 10 May 2019 Update (1903)

Problem:

I was unable to upgrade to Windows 10 May 2019 Update (1903) on my Dell Laptop, I was getting the following error during upgrade:


OxC 1900101 - 0x30018
The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIAUZE operation

Solution:

I went through dozens of posts on the internet to find the solution, I came to know that the above error is related to drivers but it can be s/w drivers as well like installed VPNs thus I uninstalled all s/w based components.

I was looking for a non-destructive solution where I could retain my windows apps and settings but all solutions failed, finally I had to go with destructive upgrade where only the files would be retained by windows and the upgrade was successful, thus if you are facing a similar issue, try to go for destructive upgrade options.

I used MediaCreationTool1903.exe to create a bootable USB stick to upgrade Windows on my laptop, this can be downloaded from Microsoft.

What didn't work:

Windows Troubleshooter:

I also used Windows troubleshooter and found the following:

Windows Update
Issues found
Potential Windows Update Database error detected       Not fixed
      Repair Windows Update Database Corruption         Completed

Windows Update components must be repaired             Not fixed
      Repair Windows Update components                       Completed

Issues found
- Potential Windows Update Database error detected     Not fixed
Possible issues may prevent Windows Update from keeping your system up to
date.

Repair Windows Update Database Corruption                Completed
One troubleshooting step to resolve WU issues is to delete and re-download
updates to your computer. Would you like to try this step now? Depending on
your network configuration, you may incur download costs.

- Windows Update components must be repaired              Not fixed
One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly.

Repair Windows Update components                                Completed
Repairing Windows Update components frequently resolves common Windows
Update errors.

Encryption Keys:

There was also a recommendation to remove encryption keys, which I did nut it didn't make any difference.

PowerShell Scripts:

There were also some PowerShell scripts available online to reset upgrade settings in Windows but they didn't work either.

Editing Registry:

There were also suggestions to modify registry like the provisioning settings but that didn't work as well.



-urShadow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...